Wednesday 4 January 2023

Custard

 4th January 2022

Yesterday custard with toast was my dinner...i used quite a bit of the custard powder and i love the jelly like consistency of the custard...i used full cream cow's milk as the skimmed milk powder is over... and that helped ∆ the consistency of the custard i guess... 

during childhood thick creamy custard with loads of fruits and nuts... was a standard sweet dish for parties at home and everyone loved it...my dad used to buy buffalo milk from a farm near the AirForce station where I grew up... ergo the milk used to be Thick and the custard very creamy ... I usually got assigned the task of chopping up the fruit and nuts for the fruit salad as we used to call custard with fruits ...

After we grew up custard with fruits is Rarely made by my mom or anyone else as a sweet dish for parties...i too Never served it during any party i held chez moi while living on the Tea Estates...where the Effort and Time taken to make the sweet dishes were Marked ....sweet dishes I made a day before the party and were Elaborate affairs...i rue not clicking snaps of the food i used to cook during those 6 years of living on the Tea Estates...a Herculean amount of cooking happened even on a daily basis... due to guests I was hosting the whole year...

Evening tea itself had so many aspects to it...a sweet element, a savoury element, something store bought, nuts and even eggs ...

There is a huge difference in what is served by an ordinary Indian house hold on Tea Estates even today and the system of using cloth napkins and crockery and cutlery...

All those systems went out of the window when I shifted back to Pune and my boys were toddlers... their favourite activity was playing with plates and glasses and throwing everything ever so often...

I packed up All the breakable stuff and switched to steel utensils...

And That was That...

No comments:

Conversations chez moi on 1st April 2017...

 Conversations chez moi  yesterday : little one to me ....if you say Yes to me mama (he needed an ice cream) i will teach you bad ..bad word...